"The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord."
Proverbs- 21:31

Monday, February 9, 2015


On October 3rd I will be competing in my second Ironman distance race.  This year I will be running to raise awareness and funds for the Chase Michael Anthony Kowalski Foundation.  Chase was a first grader at Sandy Hook Elementary School who lost his life on December 14, 2012.

Living in Newtown it is impossible not to think about the SEHS tragedy every day. As I run through the very neighborhoods that were so effected by the tragedy I often find myself in prayerful reflection for the victims and their families, their names and faces forever a part of who we are as a community. 

I first read about Chase Kowalski last October when I met his family and learned about his foundation at a community event. I was immediately drawn to the foundation because Chase and I share a similar passion for competition and for triathlon.   

As I spoke with the family it struck me that Chase would have grown in his love for triathlon as he got older (all triathletes become obsessed with the sport eventually) and like most triathletes he would have started to think about doing the Ironman. His questions would have been no different than my own when I first started out in triathlon…..

 

Could I really do this for 17 hours?

 

What does it feel like to take on a challenge that big?

 

Does body hair really slow me down that much?

 

It’s heartbreaking to know that he will never get to accomplish his goals. His family will never get to go through the experience of waiting, cheering, worrying, and celebrating with him. He will never get to answer questions about being an Ironman (one of my favorite things to do). Questions like….

 

Did it hurt?

 

What if you need to go to the bathroom?

 

How much did you get paid to do this?

 

Why would you want to do that?

 

And of course my favorite,

 

So, you really wanted to spend an entire day exercising in extreme pain, peeing in your pants, and not even getting anything in return, why would you want to do that?  

 

It didn’t take me long to realize that even though Chase never got the chance to be an Ironman, I could do it for him.

 

As I prepare to embark on the challenge of completing Ironman Maryland, and all the emotional, mental, and physical struggles that go with it, I am excited to have Chase with me. I am going to carry him not only for 140.6 miles but for 9 months of training, suffering, and triumph.   

 

The CMAK foundation is committed to providing programs and initiatives that encourage personal improvement, healthy lifestyles and strong family and communities. All in the spirit of Chase Kowalski. They are working to “turn tragedy into triumph”. I encourage you to read more about this great organization on their website: http://www.cmakfoundation.org/

 

I am working toward the goal of raising $5,000.00 for the foundation this year. This will not be easy, but just like the Ironman the struggle makes the triumph even greater.  

 

So I ask that you please help me in remembering this amazing child and helping his foundation do great work in many communities.

 

Please click on this link: https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/DavidPrudhomme/race4chase and support my efforts this year. Any amount which you can donate is greatly appreciated.

 I will be updating my journey on my blog at http://swimbikerunraise.blogspot.com/ 

Please visit the site often for updates on my training and races throughout the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment