"The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord."
Proverbs- 21:31

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Thats my boy!

Parents are never supposed to have favorites (sorry Glenn, maybe Mom did have a favorite after all). I can honestly tell you that I don't have a favorite kid but I do have moments with my kids that are my favorites. One of those moments was watching Noah train for and complete his first kids triathlon at the age of 7.

You think you know all about your kids but sometimes they do things to show you their true character and it makes you so excited for their future. This was one of those times. I helped Noah to create a training plan and he stuck to it. Every night after dinner he would go to the refrigerator and look at his schedule for the day. "Ok Dad, I need to go ride my bike tonight" or "Dad... after I swim my 10 laps can I stay in the pool and play." His determination grew every day.

About a week before the race we went to the pool that was hosting the race for "swim practice". It was a chance for Noah to try his swimming in the big pool with the other kids in the race. It was clear that not only was he the youngest kid there but he was also the weakest swimmer. The practice didn't go well. He got half way through and climbed out of the pool. He was sad, embarrassed and feeling like he could not do it. I figured he was done and would never go back the following week to do the race.

Race day came and Noah was excited to go. The little boy that struggled just a few days earlier was not scared or nervous. I watched him spend his last few minutes waiting to start by playing games with the other kids in line. Most adult triathletes could learn from this. Noah amazed us with his ability to put the negative feelings aside and just have fun.

When the race started Noah jumped in the pool and started going. It didn't take long for all the other kids to pass him. Soon he was the only one left in the pool,  It was agonizing to watch him struggle but the smile never left his face.  He found true joy in listening to all the spectators and volunteers cheering as he continued to move forward and finish the swim.

After biking strong he had to run a half a mile (I know some adults that would struggle with that). Noah pushed hard and never stopped. We cheered loud and proud as he sprinted to the finish. He wasn't last but he was far from first.

After the race I hugged him and he said "Dad, I did it. It was really hard but I never stopped." He is our fighter.  Noah showed all the character that a father could ever want to see in a son.


One more thing to share on this.

One of the things people ask most often is did I choose to Race 4 Chase? There are several reasons but one of the big ones is that I look at his picture and I see Noah.



Breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment